We stand in solidarity with our Quebec Muslims sisters and other religious minorities who are experiencing daily micro aggressions, violence and isolation as a result of the proposed Quebec Charter of Values (Bill 60). We ask you to join us in supporting of our sisters in Quebec this International Women`s Day (IWD) events by marching with us in Torontohttps://www.facebook.com/
Outburst! believes that barring a woman from accessing social services, employment, health and education, as well as creating a climate of shame and fear around her is not an effective way to help her. Muslim women are increasingly targets for verbal and physical violence since the proposal for Bill 60 was introduced. In a recent online survey of 388 Muslim women living in Quebec, 88% said they no longer feel safe leaving their homes . Even though the Charter has been tabled we worry that visible Muslim women will continue to be targeted.
What was the Charter of Values?
The Charter of Values (Bill 60), also known as the “Charter affirming the values of State secularism and religious neutrality and of equality between women and men, and providing a framework for accommodation requests”, was tabled in November 2013 by the governing Parti Québécois. Its stated goals are:
(1) setting clear rules for everyone on religious accommodation; and
(2) affirming ‘Quebec values’ including equality between women and men, religious neutrality of
Quebec’s public institutions, and recognition of a common historic heritage; and
(3) Establishing the religious neutrality of the state to promote pluralism by ensuring fair and equal treatment of all beliefs.
The bill includes a ban on the wearing of ‘conspicuous’ religious symbols for all state personnel except elected officials. This includes kippahs, turbans, hijabs, niqabs and large crucifixes. The bill makes it mandatory for persons to have their faces uncovered when receiving a state service.
The proposed Charter of Values (Bill 60):
- “Exacerbate inequality between women and men and worsen the situation of women who are targeted by the law
- Affirms that the type of secularism it defends will create equality between men and women;
- Wrongly equates the veil with the oppression of women;
- Dictates (beyond what is already stipulated in the law) what people, in particular women, may or may not wear;
- Will have a devastating impact on marginalized women” Simone de Beauvoir Institute
Learn More Here:
- Is the Charter of Values a Feminist Initiative? http://thelinknewspper.ca/
- Violence Against Muslim Women On the Rise http://www.cbc.ca/news/
canada/montreal/ violence-against-muslim-wom en-on-the-rise-group-says- 1.1876564
- Bill 60 blow for religious minority members sense of belonging http://
www.montrealgazette.com/ life/ Opinion+Bill+blow+religious +minority+members+sense+be longing/9516745/story.html
- Most Anglos Allophones Say Secular Values Charter Targets Muslim Women
canada/montreal/ most-anglos-allophones-say- secular-values-charter-tar gets-muslim-women-1.255840 9
- Muslim women in hijabs increasingly the target of insults since Quebec charter was introduced
fullcomment.nationalpost.co m/2013/10/02/ graeme-hamilton-despite-its -aim-of-gender-equality-qu ebec-values-charter-has-up set-a-lot-of-women/
- Hijab-wearing woman attacked in Metro urges others to don religious symbols
canada/montreal/ hijab-wearing-woman-attacke d-in-metro-urges-others-to -don-religious-symbols-1.2 494575
- On the Parti Quebecois’ Charter of Values http://
thoughtsfromaheadscarf.blog spot.ca/2013/11/ on-quebec-charter-of-values .html
- Retired Supreme Court justice wrong to endorse Quebec values charter
opinion/commentary/2013/09/ 28/ retired_supreme_court_justi ce_wrong_to_endorse_quebec _values_charter.html