Submission Deadline is February 17th, 2014.
Outburst!, SpeakSudan and the Truth & Dare Project are looking for self-identified Muslim women to showcase their talents in photography and the visual arts. The art exhibit will be happening from April 1 – April 30th at Daniels Spectrum This exhibit will showcase the diverse ideas and creativity of Muslimah artists in the Greater Toronto Area. It is an opportunity for our communities to reflect upon our experiences, moving beyond narrow narratives of ‘submissive’, ‘quiet’, ‘violent’ and ‘oppressed’ that are painted on the regular. This art show will create a much needed space to celebrate our vibrant voices through art. Join us to bear witness to our truths and stories as Muslimah artists.
- For visual pieces, please email images of the piece in JPG, GIF or PNG format. Please share what size the pieces are (dimensions and weight [if applicable]), if they are mounted or not and if there is anything else we need to be mindful of regarding your artwork.
- For multi-media pieces, please email a link or media file. NOTE: Pieces do not have to specifically address themes of identity or religion. Multiple pieces may be submitted for consideration. Artists will have an opportunity to sell their work.
- All pieces (not for sale and unsold) will be returned at the month long show.
- Submissions are welcomed by anyone who self-identifies as a Muslim woman through the spectrum of familial, spiritual, political, cultural, ancestral connections.
- Outburst, SpeakSudan and the Truth and Dare Project will be offering mentoring and workshops for artists. Please contact us if you are interested in these services.
- All submissions should be sent to email@example.com by Feb 17th, 2013 along with a brief artist bio. Please contact us if you are having trouble with sending submissions. We will let you know by February 21st if we are able to showcase your piece(s).
Outburst! Young Muslim Women Project is a movement of young Muslim women in Toronto. As young Muslim women we want to determine the ways in which we define and access safety. Outburst!, a program of the Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic, is an opportunity for us to build community through art, education and research.
SpeakSudan, is a safe space for East African Youth in Diaspora www.speaksudan.org
The Truth and Dare Project are photography based art-making workshops for young Muslim women. The workshops provide an opportunity to explore identity, strengthen self-confidence and create a sense of belonging.
The art gallery show is graciously funded by the ArtReach Pitch Contest.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org